A firm favourite at the Sally Bee house, Mexican Butterbean Hash. It’s a very simple, fun and filling weekend brunch dish – with a bit of a kick!
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 lean rashers of bacon, all visible fat cut off and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 2 x 400g (14oz) tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400g (14oz) tin butter beans, drained
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 preserved jalapeños, chopped
- Slurp of Tabasco sauce,
- 4 fresh eggs
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas mark 6.
- Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add the chopped onion and fry for 4–5 minutes.
- Next, add the bacon, garlic, chopped tomatoes and butter beans. Season with freshly ground black pepper, the chopped jalapeños and Tabasco sauce and stir together to combine. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10–15 minutes.
- Now transfer the mixture to a shallow baking dish and pop in the oven for 20 minutes until bubbling and all the flavours have fused together. Take out of the oven and make 4 scooped holes in the mixture.
- Break in the eggs and pop back into the oven for a further 6–7 minutes or until the eggs are cooked. Serve for breakfast with a big chunk of nutty bread.